Welcome to The Fredericksburg Center
for the Creative Arts
A Non-Profit Organization
Located in the Historic Silversmith House, circa 1785
and a Partner of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Along the Rappahannock River
813 Sophia St
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Built in 1785 by John Brownlow and then purchased by James Brown, silversmith and father of six, the house features an entrance and two public rooms on the first floor, two bedrooms upstairs, and kitchen and laundry areas in the basement, totaling over 2000 square feet of floor space.
This half-timbered, clapboard covered structure was slated for demolition in 1961, when it was rescued by the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation. The building is now owned by The Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts and serves as one of the city's leading art galleries.
[Stop #2 on the Historic Tour. Free admission. Open to the public.]
813 Sophia Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22401 - (540) 373-5646